The police in Kampala are investigating the drowning of two people in Kitezi parish, Kasangati town council in Wakiso district.
The incident happened on Sunday when Asiimwe Claude 31 years and Mbabazi Frank 13 years both children of Mr Kisembo William were together with another person trying to empty a septic tank.
The deceased and the other person were using a generator that was connected to a pump. However, in the process, they suffocated inside the septic tank and drowned.
According to Luke Owoyesigyire the PRO KMP, at the time of the incident, the parents were not at home.
However, Owoyesigyire says they suspect that the heavy fumes from the diesel generator caused the suffocation of the duo while they were inside and later on drowning.
One person jumped into the septic tank to try to rescue the duo, but unfortunately, he was unable to. He was also injured in the incident, but the fire prevention and rescue officers arrived at the scene and save him and also retrieve the bodies which were conveyed to the city mortuary for postmortem.
Owoyesigyire called upon families to seek professional help whenever they are to empty septic tanks to avoid such incidents.
“We caution members of the public, if you are not qualified to do such an activity, you should desist. This is not the first time this family has been emptying the septic tank on their own. We have gotten to know that it has been common practice, they do not hire people but do it themselves which put the 13-year-old child in danger,” said Owoyesigyire.