Eight people have died and several others are in hospitals after eating suspected poisoned food of cassava bread.
The deaths occurred in Pakwach, Panyimur and Alwi sub-countries in Pakwach district.
The recent incident happened on 11th September 2022 at 2 pm when a 14-year-old boy identified as Omakrwoth Alex died and 6 other people were rushed for treatment at Panyigoro health centre 3 in Pakwach Sub-county.
The deceased and the other six persons ate food of cassava bread with Pork which had been prepared in the home of Mr Onen Ocoun Alibera 43 years, a resident of Jupameri village, Atiak Parish, Pakwach Sub-county, Pakwach district.
After eating, they developed stomach problems and headaches.
Prior to this incident, on 09th September 2022 at around mid-day, 3 people died of suspected food poisoning and 9 were rushed to Panyimur Health Centre 4 in Panyimur Subcounty for treatment.
The deceased are identified as Opio Jacob 10 years, Akello Susan 6 years and Rwothomio Chris 6 years. They had also eaten food of cassava bread with beans which was prepared in the home of Mr Okello Emmanuel in Kiyaya West village, Boro Parish, Panyimur Sub-county, Pakwach district.
After eating the food, they also developed stomach complications and headaches.
Earlier on 08th September 2022 between 2 to 3 pm, 4 people died of suspected food poisoning and 10 were rushed for treatment to Alwi Health Centre 3 in Alwi Sub-county and others to Angal Hospital in Nebbi district for further treatment.
The deceased were Afoyorwoth Evelyn 5 years, Micpamungu Gracious 7 years, Munguromo 12 years, Rwothomio Reagan 6 years.
They had also eaten cassava bread with locally slaughtered sick goat’s meat, prepared in the home of one Akumu Janet between 2 to 3 pm in Pajao East village, Ayila parish, Alwi Sub-county in Pakwach district. After eating, they developed headaches and stomach upset.
On 14th August 2022 at around 5 pm, 19 people were rushed to Panyimur Health Centre 3 for treatment after having suspected eaten food comprising of Cassava bread with meat, fish, and beans after the Baptism Ceremony at Kabim church of Uganda in Boro central west village, Boro parish, Panyimur Subcounty, Pakwach district.
After eating food, the victims started developing headaches, stomach upset and vomiting before being rushed for treatment.
According to SP Angucia Josephine PRO West Nile Region, police acted by visiting and documenting all scenes of incidences, picking the samples of food items eaten and exhibiting them before rushing the sick ones for treatment.
All dead bodies from the different incidents were conveyed to Nebbi hospital and Pakwach health centre 4 Mortuaries for postmortem.
Angucia adds that samples were extracted from the bodies and forwarded together with the pieces of the food items eaten to the Government Analytical Laboratory (GAL) and Forensic Services Directorate, Police Headquarters, Kampala for examination and analysis.
“Results are expected anytime from Tuesday 13th September 2022 to assist with investigations. Inquiries continue into this under Pakwach DEF 07/2022, DEF 06/2022, DEF 05/2022, and GEF 03/2022. As we wait for results from GAL and Forensic Services Directorate, we urge people of Pakwach district and the general public to be careful with what they eat so as to prevent such unfortunate incidents,” says Angucia.