Health
Uganda Suspends DRC Flights, Cross-Border Transport to Contain Ebola Spread
Government has announced temporary travel restrictions between the Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC) and Uganda in a bid to curb the spread of the Bundibugyo strain of Ebola Virus Disease (EVD).
The restrictions include a temporary suspension of all flights between Uganda and the DRC, which will take effect within 48 hours.
The development was announced by Dr Diana Atwine, the Permanent Secretary at the Ministry of Health, during a press briefing held at the Uganda Media Centre on Thursday evening.
According to Dr Atwine, the resolutions were adopted by the National Task Force on Ebola Virus Disease, convened by the Vice President, Her Excellency Jessica Alupo.
She also announced a four-week suspension of public passenger ferry services on the Semliki River, cross-border bus transport, and all public passenger transport between Uganda and the DRC, with the exception of goods and food transport.
“Government is intensifying mass risk awareness and sensitisation on infection prevention and control, as well as observance of the Mass Gathering SOPs issued by the Ministry of Health across the country using radios, TVs, social media, cultural institutions, religious institutions, and local government structures,” Dr Atwine said.
The Ministry of Health has also enhanced screening, testing, and treatment capacities along the Uganda-DRC border based on ongoing risk assessments.
Dr Atwine further announced the temporary suspension of all cultural celebrations and commemorative events that attract large crowds in areas along the Uganda-DRC border. She also called for enhanced death reporting in all districts, with particular emphasis on high-risk districts along the border and in the Kampala Metropolitan Area.
Security agencies have also been directed to intensify patrols along porous border points to minimise illegal cross-border movement. In addition, all weekly markets in border sub-counties within high-risk districts have been suspended for the next four weeks.
She reiterated the need for strict enforcement of Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) in non-weekly markets, schools, prisons, hotels, and places of worship across border districts neighbouring the DRC.
“Only essential movement across borders for people originating from the DRC will be facilitated, and this will be limited to gazetted and designated crossing points,” she added.
Addressing concerns about the reopening of schools next week, Dr Atwine confirmed that schools will reopen as scheduled. However, she urged strict observance of Ministry of Health SOPs under the supervision of school administrations. She added that additional guidance will be issued in due course and that schools will be supported by nearby health facilities.
“The public is urged to remain vigilant, adhere to all health guidance issued by the Ministry of Health, and promptly report any suspected cases to the nearest health facility,” she said.
Uganda has so far confirmed two imported Ebola cases involving Congolese nationals who arrived from the DRC after being exposed to the virus. One fatality has been recorded, while the second patient remains under medical care.
“She is recovering steadily and is currently out of danger. The patient was tested on Monday, 18th May 2026, and the results were negative for EVD. A second repeat test conducted on Wednesday, 20th May 2026, also returned negative. She is currently being managed for her existing comorbidities,” Dr Atwine confirmed.
Health authorities also noted that there is currently no approved vaccine for the Bundibugyo strain of Ebola Virus Disease.
