Police at Nsangi are investigating circumstances under which three people were electrocuted to death at 7 am on Thursday morning.
The incident happened in Kasenge Trading Centre. ASP Luke Owoyesigyire Deputy PRO KMP identifies the victims as Asimmwe Babirye, 35, Annet, 24, and Jeremiah Sekalenzi, 5.
According to Owoyesigyire, it has been established that the house where the deceased family was renting had no power, so they illegally tapped power from the neighborhood.
This morning after Annet washed clothes, she hung wet clothes on one of the wires that had a link to power connection causing the electricity to shock her. Her hands remained in contact with the live wire.
Annet made an alarm, which attracted her sister Babirye Asiimwe who came out of the house to help her. Asimmwe touched her sister with bare hands to save her and she was also electrocuted.
She too made an alarm and her five-year-old child, Sekalenzi came to help his mother. He too touched his mother and was electrocuted.
The trio died instantly.
The neighbors later came and disconnected the wire from the power. Their bodies have been conveyed to the city mortuary Mulago for a post mortem.
Owoyesigyire cautioned members of the public to avoid illegal power connections as they are dangerous and it is a criminal offense to illegally connect your residence to the national grid.
The police are working with power distributors to arrest people that have illegal connections in the area and Kampala Metropolitan Area. The detectives have commenced investigations with a view of arresting the person, who illegally connected the residence to power.